Annona muricata L.
- Common Name: Soursop, Guanabana
- Family: Annonaceae Juss.
- Country of Origin: tropical America
- Description: A small, upright evergreen which cannot stand frost. It may be grown only in warmest parts of Florida or in greenhouses. The leaves are dark green and glossy. The fruit is 6-9", yellow green in color, with white flesh. The pulp is excellent for making drinks and sherbets and, though slightly sour-acid, can be eaten out-of-hand.
- Uses: Medicinal Main Actions (in order):
anticancerous, antitumorous, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, hypotensive (lowers blood pressure)
Main Uses: for cancer (all types) as a broad-spectrum internal and external antimicrobial to treat bacterial and fungal infections for internal parasites and worms for high blood pressure for depression, stress, and nervous disorders
Properties/Actions Documented by Research: antibacterial, anticancerous, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, antifungal, antimalarial, antimutagenic (cellular protector), antiparasitic, antispasmodic, antitumorous, cardiodepressant, emetic (causes vomiting), hypotensive (lowers blood pressure), insecticidal, sedative, uterine stimulant, vasodilator
Other Properties/Actions Documented by Traditional Use: antiviral, cardiotonic (tones, balances, strengthens the heart), decongestant, digestive stimulant, febrifuge (reduces fever), nervine (balances/calms nerves), pediculicide (kills lice), vermifuge (expels worms)
Cautions: It has cardiodepressant, vasodilator, and hypotensive (lowers blood pressure) actions. Large dosages can cause nausea and vomiting. Avoid combining with ATP-enhancers like CoQ10.
Useful part: Leaves, Fruit, Root, Bark, Seed.
Medicinal Info from Rainforest Tropical Plant Database http://rainforest-database.com/plants/graviola.htm Leslie Talyor 2005
Additional images for this accession:Click on thumbnails to enlarge
Flowering Data:This accession has been observed in bloom on:
- Accession # 199900586
- Source: Maugeri ex CRFG
- Accession Date: 10-05-1999
- Bench: 1311 - NEO:Central America B
- Qty: 1 confirmed on 11-01-2013
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- SubClass: magnoliids
- Order: Magnoliales
- Family: Annonaceae
- Morton, J. 1987. Soursop. p. 75–80. In: Fruits of warm climates. Julia F. Morton, Miami, FL.
- CRFG Website
- Ayurvedic Medicinal Plants
data regenerated on Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:53:31 -0500